Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Summer is Coming...

Okay, only one week and 1/2 left of school! YIKES!! I don't know if I am ready or not. I have come up with a few ideas that I hope will help my kids stay in control this summer!

Each day I post a nap sign on the front door when Sweet Pea goes down for her nap. So far, it works great as the doorbell does not get rung and she stays asleep for her entire nap! YES!!

I also have our little "busy bees" which go on the door when the kids get home from school and until they have finished their after-school chores. This is also working pretty well so far.

I made our Summer chart to hang on the wall in the dining room. We are going to still get up at the same time each day and have scripture study and breakfast as a family before Matt heads off to work. Our evenings are sooo jam-packed that family dinner times are few and far between. We have been doing this already before school, so we should be able to keep it up, I hope! I may get lazy and decide to bump the time back a bit before the Summer ends, but we will try our best!

I have a theme for each day; Monday is money day and the only day the kids can do extra jobs to earn money--no allowance this summer. Tuesday is Travel/art day. We will go somewhere fun every other week and do a fun art project the other two weeks of the month. Wednesday is water day. We will do something with water on this day. We have the infamous Rigby Lake, the Splash Park, and on some occasions, Ross Park. Thursday is Thinking Day where we will be going to the library to check out books. The kids will be reading all summer and I am hoping they have a good reading program this year (last year's was really DUMB)! Friday is Free Day; we will do whatever we want at home on this day.

We also have a VIP for each day. The kids will get a chance to decide everything that we will be doing on their VIP day.

I hope this will work...I guess I have three months to perfect it hu?

2 comments:

Cori said...

Wow! You are getting organized! I haven't even thought about summer yet and won't until school is officially out. Fun ideas!

Angela said...

This is great! Good for you... And I love your charts! I need to get on that, with only 2 1/2 weeks left of school. I love the VIP idea too. I made a cute Lemonade stand sign for the kids today. Hailey and her cousin did it today, were out there for 2 hours and made $10!! Stay tuned- I will post pics of our big sign. :)