Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Tooth Fairy...

As some of you may already know, Tucker has been losing teeth for several years now. He has even recently lost an 11-year old molar. His mouth is a train wreck, to say the least! Part of his teeth being so weak is due to the fact that he doesn't really use them to chew anything other than Doritos. Well, after two visits to two different Orthodontists, the verdict stood that his teeth are the size of a 10 year olds (he's 6) and there just isn't enough room for his permanents to grow in even with the loss of most of his baby teeth. Two teeth would have to be removed so that the rest could shift and hopefully straighten out (fingers crossed).

Yesterday was the big day for the tooth extraction! He was NOT happy about going to see the dentist. He stayed in the bath for two hours, wouldn't get out to get dressed, yelling at the top of his lungs and crying about not wanting to go. I literally had to pick him up and strap him into Bridget's car seat to get him in the car and stay in the car! I felt so bad.

On the way to the dentist I talked to him about what was going to happen and that it really wasn't going to hurt with all the medicine they would give him. He seemed okay after that, and upon arriving to the office and seeing his dad there, he was even better...PHEW!!

He did so awesome! That laughing gas is some serious stuff, I wouldn't mind a bottle for emergencies! The mouth was numbed, the tooth extracted, the boy giggling at his "fat face" and the little treasure box with his big tooth inside, not to mention the prize for being so good made it all seem worth the heartache.







And the best part? The kid was so excited for the tooth fairy to come, he went right to bed and fell right to sleep.











That was nice until 3 am when we heard the padding of footsteps in the hall and the excitement as he shoved his dollars in his dad's sleeping face exclaiming "dad, look the tooth fairy came!" You would have thought it was Christmas! He made 5 dollars for his tooth (that is a lot I know, but he has never been visited by the tooth fairy before because he was too young to understand, so this was an exception to my tooth fairy rule).



Now, we will be doing this all over again in two more weeks for one more extraction! Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Lori said...

Oh...I hate that part of parenthood. Kev had lots of baby teeth and 2 permanent teeth removed. His smile now was SO worth it though. Hang in there. One day he will thank you for it. Way to go, Tucker!!

Amberly said...

What a trooper! I am glad the tooth fairy was so generous. I am not looking forward to all the braces and tooth removal that I am sure will happen at our house.

Brenda said...

What a brave boy! I love the gas too:) I love that he woke you guys up in the middle of the night! What a funny boy!!

Elena said...

We definitly understand teeth trauma at this house. Ughhhh...I'm impressed you got him in the car all by yourself. HeMom!! I'm glad the toothfairy hooked him up; he deserved it.

La Mujer Loca said...

Sounds like you had a fun-filled day! Boy-oh-boy!